The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



28 March 2005

Beauty in Stone


S

imply awesome. I have no other words for these masterpieces. On Thursday of last week I went to the Galleria here in Houston. I needed new glasses and there was a Lenscrafters there. Why Lenscrafters? I get them in an hour. I'm not a patient person. However while walking around for that hour I came across a really talented person. His name is Francisco and he is a sculptor.


On display right there on the floor was his latest work called The Dancers and they are on the right shown here.

Simply amazing. It is 5 feet long and 6 feet high. Francisco said: "the sculpture was hewn from a 12 ton block of Colorado Yule marble was created over a one and a half year period with over 3000 hours of labor." It was simply amazing. Can you imagine working on something for 3000 hours?







His other masterpiece, "American Woman" was on national tour. The American Woman life-size marble sculpture has been on tour of the country. She has been exhibited in 15 shows in 13 major cities. This sculpture has already been on ABC, NBC and CBS News over 30 times, and over 50 newspaper articles and magazines. This piece is over 10 feet long and about 8 feet high.













As Francisco tours he signs and gives away free marble chips (the size of small bricks) that came from the original 21 ton block of marble for American Woman. So far he has signed over 15,000 marble chips and over 10,000 photos.

He graciously autographed a piece of stone for me. I know it's a bit blurry... but you get the idea. It says: March 24, 2005 To Denny: "American Woman" Francisco. Francisco has a website that you can visit: Francisco's Fine Art


Burning Questions and Random Thoughts

Have you ever seen art up real close and personal? Or do you paint? sculpt?

The 100 Things Countdown Continues

Continuing with my list:
58. I use to paint landscapes about 15 years ago, then stopped for some reason. I should start up again.

57. When I was in Italy I got to see "David" and the "Pieta", including the Sistine Chapel... simply awesome.

56. I never tried to sculpt anything unless you count a lopsided ashtray I made when I was 8 years old.

If you really want to see my uptodate 100 Things.

Comments:

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker