The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



11 April 2005

Has It Been 39 Years Already?


A

mazing, simply amazing. I sat here last night and it dawned on me what today was... Thirty-nine years ago today on April 11, 1966 I boarded a train at the North Philly Station headed for the Great Lakes in Illinois. The Great Lakes Naval Station was simply in another world compared to my home in Philly and summer home in Fries Mills, N.J. That trip was the first of many away from the comforts of home.

I remember thinking as I lay in my berth that night that this was actually scarey and exciting at the same time. Scarey because I hadn't a clue what lay ahead for me and exciting because it was the first time in my life that I had really been away from home. Our first day was pretty much doing paperwork, getting our uniforms, etc. I remember sitting in a large room and a guy standing in front of us telling the group that he was going to pass a box around and we were to put all guns, knives and any other kind of weapon we might have into the box. I thought "who would be crazy enough to bring a gun?"

By the time the box got to me, it was filled with an assortment of guns, knives, brass knuckles... geez... I was wondering if I should throw my weapon... my fingernail clippers into the box as a joke. For the next 16 weeks I would run, exercise, drill and shoot. I was magically turned into a Seaman...

On my return to the Philly airport, my family was waiting there for me. Ah, back to safety again. lol. I was free for a few weeks. Then it was all over as quickly as it came. Reporting to Little Creek Amphibious Base in Virginia was my next chapter. I was assigned to the USS Walworth County, LST 1164 pictured here, and so began my life in the Navy. I am simply amazed at how time has flown by so quickly.

Burning Questions and Random Thoughts

Can you remember the very first time you ever were away, I mean really away from home? Maybe on an extended vacation without your family?

Today's Birthday

Today's birthday boy is Oleg Cassini, 1913 in Paris France. World reknown fashion designer.

Comments:

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker