The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



03 April 2005

Il Papa รจ Morto...Vivere lungo il Papa


T

he Pope is dead... Long live the Pope. Forgive me friends if I comment on the passing of the Pope, but I just couldn't let it pass without a comment. I had the rare privilege of being in the Pope's presence not once, but twice... both times were extra-ordinary. Both times were in Philly. Then I was in Rome on a Sunday morning and in St. Peter's Square when another Pope, Pope Paul VI appeared at his window for the Sunday blessing. Everyone in the square was kneeling for the blessing, except for one idiot who was standing and snapping pictures. Did you guess who that idiot was? So I've seen 2 different Pope's, three times. I consider myself very lucky in somuch as some people never get to see a Pope in person even once. I just read somewhere that 40% of the world's population has never known another Pope. That is incredible. I thought back how many Pope's I've seen take reign of the church. Pope Pius XII, Pope John XXIII, Pope Paul VI, Pope John Paul I, and Pope John Paul II.


Pope Pius XII always looked soooo strict. I couldn't relate to him. John XXIII was everyone's grandfather... he just looked jovial and happy all the time. Paul VI wasn't very good at public appearances and giving speeches, so a little know Cardinal... Karol Wojtyla of Krakow actually wrote about 6 or 7 major speeches for the then Pope Paul VI. Little did anyone think that this unknown Cardinal would one day become the beloved John Paul II. Then there was John Paul I... he obviously just wasn't up for the job as he died shortly after being installed as Pope. Of course there are theorists who still claim that he met his death not through natural causes.

So here we are now getting ready to elect a new Pope. Big shoes to step into... It's a shame because the new Pope will constantly be compared to John Paul II. We shall see what we shall see. One of the potential candidates will be Jaime Lachica Cardinal Sin of the Phillipines. But honestly, I cannot see a "Pope Sin" being elected.

Burning Questions and Random Thoughts

Have you ever seen a Pope in person? What did you think of John Paul II? Or if you don't have an opinion either way and want to say something totally different... go right ahead!

Today's Birthday

Today's birthday boy is Washington Irving New York NY, American writer (Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Rip Van Winkle) born in 1783.

The 100 Things Countdown Continues

Continuing with my list:

42. I have Pope Calixtus II - 25th Great Uncle, Pope Paul III - 11th Cousin, Pope Clement VII - 4th Cousin 18 Times Removed, Pope Leo X - 10th Cousin, Pope Stephan X - 25th Great Uncle, Pope Gelasius II - 24th Great Uncle, and Pope Boniface VIII - 20th Great Uncle... in my family history.

41. I have been in the Sistine Chapel from where the new Pope will be selected.

If you really want to see my uptodate 100 Things.

Comments:

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker