The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



09 April 2005

A Perfect Pizza?


I

s there such a thing? Thursday night I decided to have pizza delivered. A large, pepperoni and onion, my usual. Here in Houston there is a large selection of pizzamakers to choose from Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Johns and a few independent places. Are they good? Sigh, make that a BIG sigh. I truly believe the only place to get real pizza is either Philly, New York or Chicago. Why? Because there is a large Italian population in each of those cities. The further you get away, the choices become limited. Every so often I get daring and throw in anchovies but not often, I'm not totally crazy.. Last night I got daring as well and had them add pineapple. Not bad, a nice taste of difference.


Back in Philly, there was only one place that we ordered pizza from and that was Mondillos on Frankford Avenue. It was always a plain pizza but with extra cheese, that's how my father liked his pizza, so that's what we got. Back then in those days, there was only one topping offered, pepperoni. In this day and age you can get the whole farm put on top of it. I can remember ordering pizza in Naples, Italy with the works. I could have sworn there were fish heads on it. VERY thin and you had to eat it with a fork, you couldn't pick it up, not even the crust. A mark of good pizza is always the crust, that and cheese bubbles on the pie.

Eventually Mondillos closed down and we had to switch allegiance to Taconelli Pizza on Somerset Street. Philadelphia Magazine named Taconelli as the Best Pizza in Philadelphia in the 70s or 80s. No one delivered back then and you had to go and pick it up. I can also remember when I was a teenager I could eat a whole pizza myself. Now, as I've gotten older I am lucky I finish off two slices.

Burning Questions and Random Thoughts

Do you eat Pizza? What are you're favorite toppings? and how much is a Large with pepperoni and onions?

Today's Birthday

Today's birthday boy is Hugh Marston Hefner in Chicago IL, owner and publisher of Playboy. Hugh was born in 1926.

The 100 Things Countdown Continues

Continuing with my list:

34. I will not eat pizza with sausage or meatballs.

33. My mark of a great pizza is one with cheese bubbles on top.

If you really want to see my uptodate 100 Things.

Comments:

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker