The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



02 May 2005

Yoo-hoo, it's me! Pinky Lee!


Y

oo-hoo, it's me...
My name is Pinky Lee
I skip and run with lots of fun
For every he and she. .


It's plain to see
That you can tell it's me
With my checkered hat and my checkered coat
The funny giggle in my throat
My funny laugh like a billy goat.
That's it's whooooo
PINKY!

Geez, I had all but forgotten old Pinky Lee. On television in the mid 50's here in the US, every kid watched as he would do the typical kids things... dance, sing and slapstick. This hyper-kinetic, slapstick comedian wasn't without his critics. Milton Berle once commented at a gathering of comedians that "if a bomb hit this joint, Pinky Lee would be a hit!"; and New York Times reviewer, Jack Gould labeled Lee "crude, tasteless and...a conspiracy against parents." Nonetheless I watched Pinky Lee everyday. Back then there were tons of kids shows on the new thing called television. Let's see... Kukla, Fran and Ollie, Meet Mr. Rivets, who could forget the Mickey Mouse Show. The MM Show was on opposite Pinky Lee and it out-paced the Pinky Lee Show... the MM Club pretty much wiped out all of the kids shows back then. Pinky's ratings dropped and he had a heart attack on live television. His show was cancelled in 1956. Pinky Lee died of a heart attack on April 3, 1993 in Mission Viejo, California.

Many of these shows were Live, and the goof ups were funnier than the show. One time Mr. Rivets was on... he was a mechanical man... and his arm fell off! There was a show from Philly called the Big Top. It featured circus acts and was a kids show. I was in the cub scouts and we went to a live show.

During the show one of the performers got injuried and hurt her leg. The kids in the audience all went "awwww", except me. I was busy watching for when the camera would swing around and I'd be on TV. The camera turned around and while everyone else was going "awwww" I was clapping and smiling. laugh. That was my only time seeing the Big Top.

Burning Questions and Random Thoughts

What favorite kids shows did you watch as a kid? Did you ever meet any of the characters?

Today's Birthday

Today's birthday boy is Pinky Lee, children's show host of the Pinky Lee Show. Born this date in 1907.

The 100 Things Countdown Continues

Continuing with my list:

11. When my kids were smaller, they watched Barney. I hated, hated, HATED Barney.

10. I was little but I met Pinky Lee in person once. I can only remember meeting him, nothing about the meeting though.

If you really want to see my uptodate 100 Things.

Comments:

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker