The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



25 July 2005

Pompeii and Vesuvius...


N

ext month on 15 August is the anniversary of the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius and and a major entry in the pages of history. I remembered this morning that I promised Mondays would be Travelogue day and I've been forgetting it ever since. So in an attempt to revive that and hopfully to actually do it on Mondays, here is today's entry. My trip to Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius. Plus I don't know how I did it but I deleted yesterday's blog entry with today's, and I haven't a clue how I did it. Shrug...

On the right, the three pictures depict looking out towards the Mediterranean, and two brothels. The murals are a bit too graphic to put on my blog. Laugh.

The entire city of Pompeii has been left just as it was found when possible. Bread still in the ovens, food on the tables for dinner... preserved for history. Even the frozen in lava for all time is a dog barking and howling... forever entombed now sending forth silent barks.

Pictured below are residents of Pompeii frozen where they fell under the rolling lava.

You can travel from Pompeii via cable car to the top of Vesuvius. Over time I have developed a slight fear of heights... I'm glad I wasn't when I went to Vesuvius... it's really high up there!

Once ontop the crater you could look out over southern Italy... Naples in the short distance, Pompeii beneath and Hurculeum a few miles over. I'm not sure about now but when I was there you could actually walk a ways down inside the crater. I'm not sure if you were actually allowed or the fact there was no guard to tell you "no". But being the sort of adventurous person I am, I climbed down into the crater... not all the way down, but down enough to at least say I was inside it.


I was so engrossed in Pompeii and Vesuvius that I spent another 2 days wandering around. One of the things that was deafening was the silence of the place. No sounds at all. I could see birds in the air but could hear none. No traffic, nothing... just a very eerie silence. It permeated the air around me.

The first day was spent on exteriors and Vesuvius, while day 2 and 3 were spent inside the villas. Incredibly restored, paintings on the wall as if they were painted yesterday. On my next trip back I am going to Herculeum another city buried that day. If I remember, next Monday I'll talk about the rest of the trip... I don't know about you, but I find this stuff totally interesting.

Observations and Questions
Have you ever travelled to Pompeii? If you lived by Vesuvius and it erupted and you were frozen in time, what would you be doing? or want to be doing at that moment?

Birth Announcements and Death Notices

In 1978, Louise Brown, born in Oldham England, the world's 1st `test tube baby... and in the Death Notices today we have Vincente Minnelli, husband of Judy Garland and father of Liza, movie director, dies in LA at 76

Gentle Reminder of the Day

Congrats and welcome to our newest member of the Almost Normal Members of the Not So Normal Club Portrait Galley, Caribbean Colors who lives on an island in the Caribbean off the coast of Belize in Central America! and owns an art gallery!

Comments: Post a Comment

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker