The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



26 July 2005

Pompeii and Vesuvius...Day 2 &3


O

k, ok... so I lied. Yesterday I said this chapter would be next Monday but I was talked into doing it today. What really sealed the deal was when I woke up I couldn't think of anything for today... so here we are back in Pompeii for day 2 & 3.

On the right we have 3 pictures... Top picture is the Marina Gate. One of several entrances to the city. The gates were named according to where they would lead you. For instance, the Marina Gate faced the sea, while the Vesuvio Gate faced Mt. Vesuvius. Middle is Via degli Agustali and the third is inside the tomb of Vestoria Prisco and located just inside of the Vesuvio Gate. Beautiful frescoes such as these line the inside of the walled burial chamber..

Even today Pompeii is still being unearthed. Some of the houses are free, but then there are those that you have to tip the "guard" and he'll unlock the gate and let you inside. They are the places you want to go... the ones not open to the public. I don't know about today but when I was there, you had to pay to get inside the brothel. Some things never change I guess... Laugh.

The picture below is from one of the many brothels in the city. That thing sticking out isn't a tree limb. Let's just say that Roman thought "highly" of himself. He is actually weighing "it". He is holding a scale in his right hand. Laugh


As I mentioned yesterday there is bread still in the oven, baking for the days meal. The interior of the homes have been remarkably preserved. Once the volcanic ash and lava was removed, stunningly beautiful paintings emerged virtually unharmed.

I couldn't help thinking of the terror in the people as they all raced down these tiny, little streets trying to escape the inevitable that awaited them.

Observations and Questions
This is the bad thing about having the second part of the story on the second day. I asked the questions yesterday... so... oh just say whatever comes to mind. Special Note: If you are offended by the one particular painting here today, I am truly sorry. However, I didn't paint it, I didn't unearth the painting, I just hung it for art's sake. (And if art is reading this today, calm down boy!)

Birth Announcements and Death Notices

In 1943 Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones, in London. and in the Death Notices today we have in 1952, Eva "Evita" Peron, Argentina's 1st lady, She died in Buenos Aires at 33. I still believe she is one of the most remarkably interesting females of her time.

Gentle Reminder of the Day

Still time!!

Comments: Post a Comment

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker