The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



08 August 2005

Next Week, I Swear...


Y

es, I know, Mondays are supposed to be travel days... and today was going to be about my travels in and out and all around Rome. However, while putting it together and searching for the birth and death notices, I came across a story about the man that played the original King Kong in the 1933 release which starred the "queen of scream" Fay Wray. As many times as I have seen this movie, I swear I never gave King Kong a thought as to IF there were anyone in a costume nor did I ever wonder how they did it... I just accepted it... shrug.

Little did I ever realize until this morning that there was a man inside the beast and that was Charlie Gemora. While reading about him, I discovered Charlie was THE man to go to in Hollywood during that time if you needed a gorilla. Always the ape in Abbott and Costello movies or Laurel and Hardy comedies... even in horror movies... it was always Charlie who they called upon first.

It's always interesting to spot a new fact or two as well. For instance, I didn't know that while King Kong was holding Fay in his hand he undressed her... yes, undressed her down to her nakedness. It was a real shocker back in 1933 and cut from the movie. Those damn censors always ruining a good, important to the story, scene.

And talk about double duty... Charlie was also in charge of alien costuming during the filming of the original War of the Worlds. Now if my memory serves me correctly, we didn't see any aliens in that movie, did we? Except at the end when the door opens and out flops a hand or arm. But it was excellently costumed. It was naked wasn't it? Laugh.

Observations and Questions
Have you ever watched the original King Kong? I bet if you watch it again, you'll look at it with a slightly different eye, knowing that Charlie is in there sweating to death.

Birth Announcements and Death Notices

Now this is interesting, not only was the producer of one of the King Kong movies, Dino DeLaurentis born this date in 1919... but the man that played King Kong, in the original 1933 version with Fay Wray, Charlie Gemora, died in 1961 at 58.

Gentle Reminder of the Day

Still time :) Come on, you know you wanna send in your picture.

Comments: Post a Comment

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker