The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



17 October 2005

Disappointment...


W

ith a captal 'D'. Yes, I know you're disappointed that my story about the Mummy isn't here... and so am I. As I briefly mentioned yesterday my one daughter called and sounded terrible. She apparently had a cold or the flu or something.

I did call the museum and they graciously changed my tickets to next Sunday. In a way I am glad we cancelled... when I called the museum to change the date I looked at the ticket. I had thought our time was at noon and told the girls I would pick them up at 11AM to be there in time. I looked at the tickets and was shocked to find out the showing was at 11AM and not at 12. We would have missed it.

I think I previously mentioned that when the girls and I go somewhere and I take pictures I use Camtasia or VideoStudio to turn them into a video, with music, the whole nine yards... and they turn out great. So right now I am working on adding stock stuff and background. When we go and I take pictures, then I'll add them. I'll try and put it up on here so you can see it. I'm not sure if it'll work here though. We'll see.

Observations and Questions
How was your weekend? What did you do?

Birth Announcements and Dusty Death Notices
Born this date in 1848, William "Candy" Cummings, created the curve ball. And digging deep in the death notices we have in 1910, Julia Ward Howe, composer, (Battle Hymn of the Republic), dies at 91.

Holiday Explained
As you may know, over on the left side of the blog I try and put what holiday it is, somewhere in the world. Every so often I come across holidays that I don't have a clue what it is... and you probably don't have a clue either. So I am going to correct that, beginning today. From now on when there is a holiday that I don't have the foggiest idea what it is, I will look it up and put it right here for you to read. We'll both be eductaed then... so therefore:

Haiti: Dessalines Day

Jean-Jacques Dessalines, pronounced zhahn zhahk day sa LEEN, (1758-1806), is one of Haiti's national heroes. He helped free the country from French rule and became its first chief of state.

Dessalines was born a slave in Grande-Riviere-du-Nord, Haiti. In his early life he served as an officer in the French army. In 1791, Dessalines became a part of the freedom movement that lead to the total abolition of slavery in Haiti in 1793. After fighting under General Toussaint L'Ouverture against British and Spanish soldiers attempting to take the Haitian colony from France, Dessaline fought again under Toussaint to expel the French from Haiti. In 1802, when the French arrested Toussaint, Dessalines became the revolution's leader. The French, under General Rochambeau (successor of LeClerc who had died of malaria earlier), were finally defeated at the famed Battle of Vertieres on November 18th, 1803. Notably, it is Dessalines' victory overRochambeau in Vertieres that forced Napoleon to abandon his bid for the control of Louisiana and eventually, the rest of the 'New World'.

In 1804, Dessalines declared the colony the independent country of Haiti and assumed the title of governor general for life. In 1806, He was murdered by political rivals.


Portrait Studio!
Come on! Come on! What are you waiting for? You know you wanna do it!
Comments: Post a Comment

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker