The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



09 February 2006

WHAT?? MOVIES ARE GOING TO 35 CENTS??


S

ince today was Bill Haley's death anniversary and while downloading the music I began thinking back to when I saw this movie with Bill Haley called 'Rock Around the Clock.' So many years ago... which led me to try and think the first time I went to the movies by myself. Would you believe a first run movie was .25? A quarter! I vaguely remember when it went to .35 and everyone complained about the high price of going to the box office.

35 cents? you're kidding? i'm not paying that much!


While I can't remember the very first movie I went to by myself, I do remember certain things about it. The movie house was called the Jumbo at Front and Girard in the Fishtown section of Philly. It did only cost .25, the manager was Mr. Kelly, the usher was Camel and my grandmother was the cleaning lady. So I was kind of a celebrity. "hey, his grandmother is the cleaning lady"... "really? wow"

In addition to the featured movie, there was always the newest Flash Gordon episode with the evil Ming. Newsreels of happenings around the world, and the movie theater was always giving something away... like dishes or glasses. They even had yo-yo contests right on stage. It was a fun time.

And a darkened movie theater was an exceptionally good place to play "Army". Crawling up and down the aisles trying to capture the "other side" which comprised your friends. I think back then it was communists we captured. If you went to Catholic school back then you knew how scary the communist were...

However, if a western was playing we switched from Army to, yeah you guessed it... cowboys and robbers or Indians.

Observations and Questions
Can you remember the very first movie you ever went to see by yourself and without your parents? the name of the theater? and what was playing?

Birth Announcements and Dusty Death Notices
Born this date in 1942, Carole King [Klein], Brooklyn, NY, pianist/singer. And in the death department, we find in 1981 Bill Haley, vocalist (Rock Around Clock), dies of heart attack at 55.
Comments:

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker