The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



17 March 2006

BEANNACHTAI NA FEILE PADRAIG!


Y

ea, me laddies and lasses, once again 'tis good ol' Saint Patty's Day all over the world. Even in multi-cultural Blogland it's the day we honor the fella that drove those pesky snakes out of the ol' sod.

Before I start I want to give a shout out to all of my Irish friends, my non-Irish friends who are only Irish on this day (that's ok) and to the rest of the world, an invite to join the party! Another shout out to my long, lost cousin Restless Angel who I found out is a distant cousin of our mutual great-grandpop Niall NoigĂ­allach, who was a High King of Ireland and was active in the early-to-mid 5th century AD. He is said to have made raids on the coastlines of Britannia and Gaul and is said to have kidnapped Saint Patrick and brought him to Ireland as a boy during these raids.

I've looked around for a couple items of interest for your Irishical reading today:

Leprechauns
In Irish folklore, leprechauns (Old Irish for "small bodies") are mischievous little old men. These elves, who work as cobblers, are believed to know where gold is hidden.

Rainbows
Does tracking down a leprechaun and his hidden pot of gold sound improbable at best? Many people believe that the leprechaun keeps his gold at the end of a rainbow. Have you ever seen the end of a rainbow? Interestingly, one of the definitions of rainbow is "a goal, hope, or ideal that is unlikely to be achieved or realized."

And as always, there's a good ol' Irish Blessing for you on this special day:

May there always be work for your hands to do;
May your purse always hold a coin or two;
May the sun always shine on your windowpane;
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain;
May the hand of a friend always be near you;
May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

In years gone by I can remember waking up the next morning and the first words out of my mouth were: "Oh my God, please God, kill me right now."

---

An Irish priest and a Rabbi found themselves sharing a compartment on a train. After a while, the priest opened a conversation by saying "I know that, in your religion, you're not supposed to eat pork...Have you actually ever tasted it? The Rabbi said, "I must tell the truth. Yes, I have, on the odd occasion." Then the Rabbi had his turn of interrogation. He asked, "Your religion, too...I know you're supposed to be celibate. But...." The priest replied, "Yes, I know what you're going to ask. I have succumbed once or twice." There was silence for a while. Then the Rabbi peeped around the newspaper he was reading and said, "Better than pork, isn't it?"

----

Pat and Mick landed themselves a job at a sawmill. Just before morning tea pat yelled: "Mick! I lost me finger!" "Have you now?" says Mick. "And how did you do it?" "I just touched this big spinning thing here like this...Damn! There goes another one!"

Observations and Questions
So will you be celebratin' today? Any Irish blood flowing in those veins? Slainte! (Meaning: To your health and pronounced: slaun-chah, give or take a vowel here and there.)
Comments: Post a Comment

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker