The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



29 June 2006

HI ALL! HOW ARE YOU DOING TODAY?


W

hat a great day. Today is Wednesday Thursday the 29th of June and just a few days from the 4th of July!

Well folks, that about wraps up todays entry on my blog.

Out of Desperation Department
Ok, I found this little article that I thought you might be interested in and educate you at the same time.

The New York Times reported on Wednesday that an insurgent named Haitham al-Badri masterminded the bombing of the Samarra shrine, at least according to Iraqi national security adviser Mowaffaq al-Rubaie. Al-Badri used to be a member of an insurgent group called Ansar al-Sunna. Now he's part of al-Qaida in Iraq, which used to be run by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, until he died and Abu Hamza al-Muhajer took over. What's the deal with this "al-" prefix?

It's the definite article in Arabic - the equivalent of "the" in English. Surnames that begin with "al" often refer to the place where someone's ancestors were born. Saddam Hussein, for example, used to be called by his family name, "al-Tikriti." Since "al-" serves as the definite article, the name "Saddam al-Tikriti" means "Saddam, the guy from Tikrit."

So then, I guess I would be: "Denny al-Philadelphia" or if you knew me really well and we were friends, I would be "Denny al-Philly."

Observations and Questions
This is pathetic, I know. I have been wracking my brain for hours and couldn't come up with anything. Comments?

Birth Announcements and Dusty Death Notices
Born this date in 1865 Shigechiyo Izumi achieved oldest authenticated age (120 years 237 days). And at the other end in 1967 Jayne Mansfield actress, dies in a car crash at 34.

Holidays and Special Dates Today Around the World
Shakespeare's Globe Theater burns down this date in 1613.
Comments: Post a Comment

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker