The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



04 August 2006

HEY! IT'S LITTLE NICOLAS JACQUE CONTE'S BIRTHDAY!


A

nd just who the hell is Nicolas Jacque Conte you ask? Well, he invented something every school kid uses and you probably used a few times this week yourself.


Conte invented the modern pencil!

The French Republic was at that time under economic blockade and unable to obtain graphite imports from Great Britain the main source of the material. He was asked to create a pencil that did not require foreign imports. After several days of research, Conte had the idea of mixing powdered graphite with clay and pressing the material between two half-cylinders of wood. Thus was formed the modern pencil.

Conte received a patent for the invention in 1795, and formed la societe Conte to make crayons. Now today when you go to work and you see someone using a pencil you can tell them today is the birthday of the inventor of that pencil.

Also:

The Month of July was named after Julius Caesar, the greatest military genius and most accomplished man of all time. However, Octavian (Augustus) did want to be out done by his famous uncle, but even though he was not nearly a great a man as Julius, he still took a full 31 days for the month named after him, August, making it one of the longest months of the year.

And Finally today
Another answer to a question that was asked last week. Patti-Cake asks: "Hmmm how about writing about someone you have a crush on .... Well Patti, I've never been good at this kind of thing, but here goes, just because you asked:

Dearest (Insert Name):
It is very important for me to express to you how much you really mean to me. I wish I could do this in person while holding you in my arms and gazing into your eyes. But since we are physically separated by miles of emptiness, this expression must come in the form of letters such as this.

(Insert Name), I know it is difficult for you, as it is for me, to be separated for so long. Life seems to be full of trials of this type which test our inner strength, and more importantly, our devotion and love for one another. After all, it is said that "True Love" is boundless and immeasurable and overcomes all forms of adversity. In truth, if it is genuine, it will grow stronger with each assault upon its existence.

(Insert Name), our love has been assaulted many times, and I am convinced that it is true because the longer I am away from you, the greater is my yearning to be with you again. You are my enchanted Princess, and I am your devoted Prince. I cherish any thought of you, prize any memory of you that rises from the depths of my mind, and live for the day when our physical separation will no longer be.

Until that moment arrives, I send to you across the miles, my tender love, my warm embrace, and my most passionate kiss.
Love always,

Me!

How was that Patti? Geez wait! I just re-read Patti's request and it says write ABOUT someone I have a crush on. I thought it said write TO someone. LOL... oh well, hope my letter suffices.

Observations and Questions
Soooooooo my dear friends... what's on your mind today?

Birth Announcements and Dusty Death Notices
Born this date in 1755 Nicolas-Jacque Conte inventor (modern pencil). And in the death notices today we find in 1981 Melvyn Douglas actor, dies at 80.

Holidays and Special Dates Today Around the World
Norway: Peer Gynt Festival Days
Trinidad & Tobago: Discovery Day (1498)
US: Coast Guard Day (1790)
Virgin Islands: Nicole Robin Day
Comments: Post a Comment

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker