The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



29 August 2006

THE MARATHON IS COMING


T

he following may or may not include gratuitous and/or indigenous nudity. Please remove younger readers and children. Thank You.

In my email yesterday I received my annual invitation for the Houston Marathon. I am there every year. Even though the race is not until about January, I must begin now getting in shape. The upcoming weeks and months will be complete torture, but I will get through it and may even keep a weekly journal outlining my efforts. The strenuous nude exercises, increased walking, dieting, etc. I must be in tip-top shape for the 26 mile event.

You think standing on a corner, cheering on the runners is easy? Hah! My first marathon years ago was disastrous. I stood there cheering for all of 15 minutes and I couldn't take it anymore. However, over the years I have lasted longer. Last year I did my personal best and stood on that corner cheering for at least 1 hour! Plus the weather last year really sucked... the temps had plunged to 80.

By now you're wondering just how the Marathon race got started... well, here is the short story.

In the 5th century B.C., 490 B.C., the Persians invaded Greece, landing at Marathon, a small town about 26 miles from the city of Athens. The Athenian army was seriously outnumbered by the Persian army.

The battle went on for days. But finally the Greeks outlasted the Persians and won. It was up to a soldier named Pheidippides to run back to Athens with the good news. Wow... such an honor! He could do it! The run from Marathon to Athens was just about 26 miles.

Legend has it that Pheidippides delivered the momentous message "Niki!" ("victory"), then promptly collapsed and died on the spot! What an ending!!

Observations and Questions
Have you ever had a marathon 'anything'?

Birth Announcements and Dusty Death Notices
Born this date in 1962 Rebecca De Mornay actress (And God Created Women). And in the death notices in 1533 Atahualpa last Incan King of Peru, murdered by Spanish conquerors.

Holidays and Special Dates Today Around the World
Czechoslovakia: Slovak National Uprising Day
Afghanistan: Jeshyn-Afghan Day/Independence Day (1920)
Comments: Post a Comment

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker