The url of this site has been changed. Please update your bookmarks! Not So Normal News



21 September 2006

EVER HEAR FADO?


O

ne of the things I do not regret about my life is that I have exposed myself to many cultures, languages and music. Especially music. Growing up, just because I didn't understand the language didn't mean I didn't listen. Actually, you don't have to know the language to appreciate a song.

Playing in the background today is from Portugal... it's a type of music called Fado. I don't know why I enjoy it, but I do. Fado (translated as destiny or fate) is a music genre which can be traced from the 1820s in Portugal, but probably with much earlier origins. It is characterized by mournful tunes and lyrics, often about the sea or the life of the poor.

It makes no difference that I don't understand Portuguese. Shrug. I like a lot of things I don't understand. Laugh.

Observations and Questions
Is or are there things you enjoy from a foreign country that you don't understand but appreciate?

Birth Announcements and Dusty Death Notices
Born this date in 1947 Stephen King suspense writer (Shining, Kujo). And in the death notices we find in 1974 Jacqueline Susann author (Valley of the Dolls), dies at 53 of cancer.

Holidays and Special Dates Today Around the World
Malta: Independence Day (1964)
Philipines: Thanksgiving
Comments: Post a Comment

Site Design & Layout
Blogs Gone Wild!

Copyright Denny Shane 2004, 2005, 2006

eXTReMe Tracker